Thursday, July 16, 2009

क्या बात है!

Some days ago, I discovered this: blogger allows me to type in हिन्दी (Hindi), ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada), മലയാളം (Malayalam), தமிழ் (Tamil) and తెలుగు (Telugu)! (No, I do not speak any of the languages listed other than Hindi. But turns out, this is an issue of transliteration.) Too bad though there is no Gujrati.

I grew up speaking English and Gujrati - so I can think pretty easily in both, which, theoretically, would make it pretty easy for me to actually type an entire post in Gujrati. Unfortunately, though, I can't actually read or write too well in Gujrati. Which, in this case, wouldn't have been much of a problem because like I said, blogger uses a system of transliteration.

Hindi and Marathi I'd be great at - learnt them in school for over 6 years - so reading and writing are not a problem, per se. But I don't really speak them unless required, so the actual formulation of thoughts and sentences is a little challenging. Compromise? Type a post in Gujrati with Hindi script. गुजराती। See? That's the word "gujrati" written in Hindi. Really, that's the equivalent of posting in Gujrati in roman script. But visually its much "cooler."

I do intend to the use the Hindi in a शुद्ध way though. Initially, I'd thought of just transcribing Hindi songs. But given the transliteration, that really wasn't much of a challenge - it would've just been a matter of copying and pasting. So, next best thing - translation.

I tried that with so many different songs, but given my rustiness with the language, I had to start with something really easy. Even so, I'm sure my high school Hindi teachers would be appalled by my efforts। :)

यूं कैन गेट ईट इफ यूं रिली वांट - जिमी क्लिफ्फ़
(You Can Get it if You Really Want - Jimmy Cliff)

कामयाबी उसकी जो सच्चे दिल से चाहे
कामयाबी उसकी जो सच्चे दिल से चाहे
कामयाबी उसकी जो सच्चे दिल से चाहे
लेकिन कोशिश की ज़रूरत है
कोशिश करना भूलना नहीं
तो कामयाबी ज़रूर मिलेगी।

मेरा वादा है, सुनो!

इन्किलाब न होतें हैं एक पल में
(The actual lyrics here are: Rome was not built in a day. I'm pretty sure a literal translation would sound pretty absurd. So I changed it to: Revolutions don't happen in a flicker/in an instant.)
तुम्हारे विरुद्ध खूब लडेंगे
लेकिन जितना भारी होगा ये सामना
उससे मीठी होगी तुम्हारी जीत।

कामयाबी उसकी जो सच्चे दिल से चाहे
कामयाबी उसकी जो सच्चे दिल से चाहे
कामयाबी उसकी जो सच्चे दिल से चाहे
लेकिन कोशिश की ज़रूरत है
कोशिश करना भूलना नहीं
तो कामयाबी ज़रूर मिलेगी।


दुःख-पीडन सेहेने पडेंगे
लेकिन जीतो या हरो तुम्हे तुम्हारी मिलेगी
अपने लक्ष्य को दिल-दिमाग से कायम करो
सीमा कितनी दूर न होई, कामयाब तुम होगे।

कामयाबी उसकी जो सच्चे दिल से चाहे
कामयाबी उसकी जो सच्चे दिल से चाहे
कामयाबी उसकी जो सच्चे दिल से चाहे
लेकिन कोशिश की ज़रूरत है
कोशिश करना भूलना नहीं
तो कामयाबी ज़रूर मिलेगी।


No comments: